Sunday, September 25, 2022

In memoriam Pharoah Sanders

 


13th October 1940 - 24th September 2022

A true legend, one of the towering figures of free music

RIP

*****

I am sitting here listening to Black Unity (1972)... anyone else?






By chance, just last week I was writing about an old university friend of mine who attended the 2004 Royal Festival Hall quintet concert with me - there's a little bit about this in the last footnote on the linked post. The last time I was in touch with this friend, back in January this year, he tipped me off about a short radio programme he had produced for the BBC, part of a series he had been working on: the edition in question was a profile of Pharoah Sanders...






1 comment:

McClintic Sphere said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIR6Z7aIeuo

or for relevance to the jurisdiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy35hxOIifM&t=1671s

I also need to dig out a gig I recorded in New York in 1994 or 95... uh, and figure out if I own anything to play it on.

Thanks for posting, Cent. Sanders was hugely meaningful to me as I was finding the music.

KCBC
McC.S.